Install WatchOCR in ubuntu
These are the steps needed to make WatchOCR V0.5 work in Ubuntu10.10 Maverick Meerkat.
In this example user = your username
1. Download the latest .deb files (watchocr and watchocrweb) from our download area.http://www.watchocr.com/files
2. Make sure the line
deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu lucid partner
is in your /etc/apt/sources.list file. This is nessessary because sun-java6-jdk and sun-java6-jre are no longer part of the standard ubuntu repositories.
3. Double click the watchocr .deb file to install with GDebi. Click on the “Install Package” button.
Do the same with the watchocrweb .deb file.
3. Create folders for scanin, scanout, and preserve. To do this type
4. Add your user account and the www-data user account to the same group so that both can read-write the files in these directories.
sudo groupadd shared
sudo usermod -a -G shared user
sudo usermod -a -G shared www-data
5. Make the newly created folders read-writable to user www-data
sudo chgrp -R shared *
sudo chmod -R 775 *
6. Open a web browser and enter
into the address bar.
7. Input the paths from above into the WatchOCR web interface (e.g. /home/user/watchocr/scanin etc..)
8. Press the “Start Watch OCR PDF Server” button
9. Pdf and tif files copied to the /home/user/watchocr/scanin folder will be processed and output to the /home/user/watchocr/scanout folder.
Congratulations – you are ready to begin processing PDFs and tifs!